Waking up in the mountains of Hokkaido
Huge powder flakes falling silently outside
Gliding through the world’s driest powder
Soaking tired muscles in an onsen
Dinner at a your favourite izakaya
Reminiscing the day’s events by the fire
The is the life… Powderlife
Powderlife aims to bottle the essence of the Niseko powder lifestyle. Not just skiing and boarding, but everything that makes up life and holidays in Niseko – the culture, food, people, businesses, development, cutting-edge architecture, greater Hokkaido and more.
• Powderlife is the must-read magazine among the Niseko community, business leaders, investors and stakeholders
• It’s a conversation starter – make sure your business or project is part of the conversation
• Powderlife was Niseko’s first English-language magazine in 2007
• Today it’s the most widely distributed and respected Niseko magazine – ask your Niseko contacts and check out Powderlife highlighted on the Japanese Prime Minister’s YouTube channel
• Business and tourism organisations use Powderlife to illustrate Niseko to potential customers around the world
• We want to showcase your business or project along with it!
Powderlife is the only Niseko magazine created by industry professionals in the field of publishing, journalism, marketing and advertising. Media is our business – and your success is our success.
The core of our editorial team is the same as it was for Powderlife’s first issue in 2007, and remains so year-to-year, issue-to-issue, ensuring quality and consistency you can confidently align your brand with.
Readers and advertisers can trust they’re being presented with a fair representation of Niseko by a long-standing, respected, independent, professional voice. That’s what makes Powderlife different, and your presence in it so valuable.
Powderlife co-founder and editor Kristian Lund is a former newspaper journalist who spent time growing up in Tokyo and learned to ski in the Japanese Alps. He earned his stripes as a reporter at News Limited newspapers, and went on to work as a senior media advisor in Australian state government. He started making Powderlife in 2007 after falling in love with life in Niseko during his first visit.
Associate editor and photo editor Aaron Jamieson has also been with Powderlife since the very first issue. As an internationally published photographer and author with a degree in Business Communication specialising in Advertising and Creative Media, Aaron adds his unique visual and creative perspective to every issue of Powderlife and Summerlife.
Chika Lund is a fourth generation Niseko resident and the linchpin of the Powderlife operation. She is active in the Niseko community and has been a part of Powderlife since its inception. She has worked for a variety of companies in Niseko including Ski Japan and Harmony Resorts, as well as being the face of Hanazono’s Powder TV snow report in 2007 and 2008.
Creative Director Nobi Kashigawa is a New York-based designer and currently art director for Conde Nast fashion bible, Vogue. Nobi brings style and experience from one of the world’s leading magazines to Niseko in the exquisitely crafted pages of Powderlife. Under his design studio Endash Space, he specialises in visual language for the luxury market.
32,000 PRINTED MAGAZINES PLUS ONLINE
• 25,000 Printed Magazines
• Thanks to our independence and quality, Powderlife is the only magazine that is placed in almost every property in Niseko.
• With deep gratitude to our accommodation partners in Niseko, Powderlife is placed in properties managed by Hokkaido Tracks, Nisade, The Niseko Company, Ski Japan, Vacation Niseko, MnK, Holiday Niseko, Niseko Wow, Niseko Portfolio, Niseko Boutiques, YTL Resorts, Ekimne and more.
• Powderlife is placed in Niseko’s most luxurious buildings and estates including The Escarpment, Hyatt House, Hilton, Hakuchozan, TELLUS, AYA, The Vale, Alpen Ridge, Haven, The Maples, The Orchards, Suiboku, Chalet Ivy, Aspect, Muse, Loft, Landmark View, Snow Crystal, The Setsumon, Terrazze, Kozue, Glasshouse, Kasara and many more!
• 7,000 Printed Magazines (inc 4000 in Hong Kong)
• Distributed around the world to ski resorts, ski expos, ski industry associated locations and target markets
• Working in partnership with our advertisers, partners and official Niseko and Japan tourism organisations, we’re building the ultimate targeted distribution network for Niseko around the world with distribution at: Ski, snowboard and travel shows in China, Taiwan, the USA, UK, Finland, Germany, Switzerland, France and other opportunities that arise; official tourism offices in the USA, UK and Asia; Whistler in collaboration with Mountain Life Magazine; exclusive BC cat ski resorts; most Australian ski resorts in collaboration with the Australian Ski Areas Association; and Bali in collaboration with The Yak Magazine and Ministry of Villas.
• Hong Kong special distribution includes six major International Airport lounges, leading ski holiday retailers and travel agents, ski shops, high-end clubhouses and country clubs, luxury spas and salons
• Emailed to 100,000+ targeted Niseko subscribers
• Translated into Japanese and Chinese
• Powderlife Magazine app available in Apple iTunes
• Included for easy-reading in the Official Niseko App
Published in three languages
Powderlife digital edition is translated and syndicated in English, Japanese and Chinese. This provides advertisers with an unprecedented opportunity to talk to Niseko’s three primary markets in their first language. Effective advertising is about effective communication and we provide a unique ROI for your investment.
Inset INSIDE Powderlife, Powderlife Real Estate is Niseko’s most comprehensive and only independent real estate publication in English, Japanese and Chinese. All real estate advertorials and most real estate ads will be in and around this section – being inside Powderlife, it’s distributed in all the properties and locations listed on the previous page in Niseko and around the world.
5000 extra copies of this section also distributed in Niseko in winter as a standalone real estate magazine. All ads in the full Powderlife are run in the Powderlife Real Estate standalone magazine for no additional cost, plus there are additional premium position opportunities. Supply your ad artwork or we can work together with you to craft a beautiful advertorial feature article utilising our local knowledge, journalistic, marketing and design expertise to showcase your product.
Inset INSIDE Powderlife, Powderlife Restaurant & Bar Guide is a dedicated 32-page section for the hospitality scene – news, ads and directory listings. Half the cost of regular ads (see previous page) and includes a free page on Powderlife.com. This is our commitment to helping every one of our hard working hospitality business owners succeed and keep building our unique and incredible dining scene.
Summerlife is a standalone magazine distributed in Niseko in winter when the world is here to encourage visitors to come back in other seasons, and thus fill out our year-round tourism economy.
Summerlife is our contribution to Niseko’s year-round tourism industry. It’s an innovative, 60-page, stand-alone magazine (ie not a feature section inside Powderlife) of which we distribute 5,000 copies in Niseko.
If you’re looking for another vehicle to promote your product or brand, Summerlife delivers the same quality and integrity as Powderlife and is distributed together where space in distribution points allows, and also in most high-end accommodation.
With ads half the price of Powderlife, this gives you a chance to cleverly take advantage of the power of advertising repetition in Niseko this winter, and add more support to the promotion of summer providing a powerful year-round message.