Climbing Mount Fuji

By 5th February 2011 August 27th, 2013 Uncategorized

AT 3776 m above sea level, Mount Fuji is not only the highest mountain in Japan, it’s also one of the most iconic in the world. The official climbing season is during July and August, and while you’re able to climb it at any time, climbing outside of these dates may mean conditions won’t be optimal, and the shops and huts on the mountain are likely to be shut.

MY brother and I decided to climb from Fujinomiya-guchi shin-go-gome (Fujinomiya trail, new fifth station) – the quickest and the shortest route to the summit, starting from a car park at 2,400 m. For us the attraction was reaching the summit, not so much the hike itself. However, in retrospect we regret not starting from the bottom, as the trail weaves through an ancient and scenic forest, instead of a barren rocky trail.
It was a little before midnight when we arrived at the car park at shin-go-gome after driving through impossibly thick fog and clouds up the long, tight, twisty dark road that snakes its way up Mount Fuji.

The car park was empty. Being stuck in a crowded, slow moving congo line of people climbing to the summit was one of our major concerns. But, it seemed that people weren’t interested in climbing during a raging storm, as during the entire climb, we saw less than 10 other people – eight of whom were climbing back down. Undeterred, we continued the ascent. Our rain jackets stopped being waterproof, our lights were ineffective and the winds didn’t stop howling. But, due to the aggressive pace that we were setting, our bodies were radiating with heat. The only salvation from the infinite darkness came from the huts and shops with their fluorescent lights at regular intervals along the trail. One even had a vending machine, which I thought was both a brilliant and horrible example of modern Japan.

Three-and-a-half hours of climbing later, we’d reached the top of the trail. Only, it wasn’t what we were expecting. The huts were all shut, and it was completely dark. A thermometer we found on the outside of a hut read 2˚C – it was 25˚C at the base. We were cold, wet and tired and left with no options other than huddling under emergency blankets within a stone doorway, to escape from the wind. We remained here like this for 45 minutes, until the door we were leaning against creaked open at 4am. We’d been sheltering in front of Japan’s highest post office. Yes, there is a post office at the top of Mount Fuji. If you send mail from here, it will be stamped with a special stamp acknowledging your achievements.

As the sun rose, the clouds started to burn off, and we could see the landscape. It was akin to something from a Mad Max movie, barren rocks, giant craters and extremely weathered buildings. We followed a trail around the crater, to get a better view of the sea of clouds and the now visible sun, which had already been up for an hour.

We didn’t get the sunrise that we’d hoped for, but we managed to have it to ourselves. We were tired and satisfied, and in basking sunlight, we made our way down through the tide of Japanese making their way to the summit. Two hours of half-walking, half-sliding down the loose gravel we were back at our car, in the now crowded car park.

Where: 2.5 hours southwest of Tokyo
Getting there: Buses from Tokyo
When: July – August

Photography and words by Ross Cole-Hunter

Leave a Reply