Bang Bang's boiled daikon radish
AFTER hounding Bang Bang's super-busy master chef Masanobu Saito for weeks, he finally found time to pen one of his famous recipes for us. Saito-san tells us he cooks this boiled daikon radish dish on a cold winter's night. Thanks for your time Saito-san!
1 daikon radish
4 pieces of konbu dried kelp
Seaweed (5cm x 15cm)
A few dried surf clams or scallops
50 ml mirin sauce
50 ml sake
100 ml soy sauce
1 tsp of yuzu kosho (spicy Japanese sauce)
1. Peel the radish and cut into eight pieces, 2cm thick. On one side of each piece make a cross incision.
2. Using water which is left over from washing rice, boil the radish for about 1 hour until it is soft enough to stick a skewer through it.
3. Put the konbu dried kelp seaweed in 1.5L of water until it softens, then take it out and tie the pieces into a knot. Put the dried clams (or scallops) into the water.
4. Rinse the boiled radish, and put it in the water with 50ml each of mirin, sake and soy sauce. Cook on a low heat for 20-30 minutes.
5. Add another 50ml of soy sauce and cook for another 10 minutes.
6. Serve the radish, konbu and soup in a bowl with the yuzu kosho spice on the side.
No comments yet
No comments have been posted yet. Add new comment